Find A Cottage
You are here:
About Boscastle in Cornwall
Boscastle ( Kastell Boterel in Cornish) is a village and fishing port on the north coast, in the parish of Forrabury and Minster. It is situated 14 miles (23 km) south of Bude and 5 miles (8 km) north-east of Tintagel.
The name of the village derives from Bottreaux Castle, a 12th century motte-and-bailey fortress, of which few remains survive.
Boscastle harbour is a natural inlet protected by two stone harbour walls built in 1584 by Sir Richard Grenville (of HMS Revenge). It is the only significant harbour for 20 miles (32 km) along the coast. As well as being a fishing harbour, Boscastle was once a small port (similar to many others on the north coast of Cornwall) importing limestone and coal and exporting slate and other local produce.
The oldest part of Boscastle surrounds the harbour; more modern residential building extends up the valleys of the River Valency and River Jordan (Yes really!)
A flash flood on 16 August 2004, caused extensive damage to the village. Residents were trapped in houses as the roads turned into rivers: people were trapped on roofs, in cars, in buildings and on the rivers' banks. Two Royal Air Force Sea King rescue helicopters from Chivenor, three Royal Navy Sea Kings from Culdrose, one RAF Sea King from St Mawgan and one Coastguard S61 helicopter from Portland searched for, and assisted casualties in and around the village. The operation was coordinated by the Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre (ARCC) based at RAF Kinloss in Scotland. A total of 91 people were rescued and there were no fatalities.